Online consultation with the doctors is getting more and more common, as everybody is busy and has a credit card. If you have any medical problem , just log in any online doctor search and consultation websites and consult a doctor on phone. The important tips to make best out of every online consultation with doctor.
There are many different sites which are offering online medical consultation in different formats
- Chat/text bases
- Provided are both free and paid
1. Best sites for online consultation with doctor
- Lybrate is the site which is focused on the online consultation format. Most favoured
- Consultation in chat, voice and video.
- Doctors are mostly from the metros only but now they are slowly moving in tier 2 and tier 3 cities as well.
- Doctors in all specialities like gynecology and psychiatry and nutritionist.
- Provide online consultations with doctors associated at different facilities of Apollo hospitals in metro cities.
- Website shows the credentials of the consulate doctors
- Advantage of follow up consolation physically
2. which medical conditions to be consulted in online doctor consultation
The popular specialities/ doctor consulted are
- nutritionist/dietitian and health
- mental health and psychologist
- skin and dermatology
- Ayurveda and homeopathy
3. Advantages of online consultation with doctor
- Convenience. the biggest reason for the people opting for online consultation is the access of medical advise by mobile phone which is ubiquitous and you do not have to visit the doctor in person.
- cheap : lack of overheads like clinic and staff for attending to patients and larger number of patients help the doctor to give advice at lower cost.
- Availability of a doctor. Non availability of a specialist in proximity is not an issue as you can assess from a distance.
4. Conditions to be avoided for having online consultation with the doctors.
Never waste your precious time in having online consultation. you should immediately contact to nearest health facility/clinic/doctor/ hospital which can provide first aid and advise regarding further management.
You need advice medical advise for children
Children , in general can not articulate their physical and mental complains and express it accurately to others . In these cases, doctor has to examine the patient in great details , so as to get an idea about the disease. A simple low grade fever can be a sign of a sinister medical condition like urinary tract infection. Online consultation is more likely to miss the diagnosis that physical office consultation.
You need medical advice for an elderly
Just like children , elderly have very small margin of error in cases of clinical diagnosis and treatment. They are also more likely to have drug overdoses and infections.
You need a medical advise for patients with hearing, visual impairment and mental retardation.
These patients have communication problems , both in reporting a problem and any drug complication. Doctor are trained to physically examine these patients to decide the clinical condition and treatment.
You have a disease/ medical condition, and develops a new related or unrelated complain.
If you are known to have blood pressure for many years , for which you may or may not be taking treatment, you have a complain of difficulty in reading fine print of newspaper for few days. It is quite likely that you may need to change glasses, but you may have more sinister retinal disease. Online consultation should be the last thing , you should have.
You have a disease/ medical condition, and need to start a medication or change the existing medication.
All medications, even those taken for pain, blood pressure and diabetes have known side effects. These medications have higher risk of complications if given in combinations. Doctor advise the single or combination of medications after through medical examinations only.
You have a disease/ medical condition, and need any surgery or procedure.
The decision to carry out a surgery or procedure should not be done on asking complains or seeing the records or reports. later has to be clinically correlated with patients physical findings. same hold good if you need a second opinion for your medical condition or its treatment. the second doctor must examine the patient and than correlate the records to give his opinion.
4. Risk of having online consultation doctor.
- Risk of wrong treatment or advice. When you take an online consultation with a doctor, it is presumed that you are knowingly taking the risk of having wrong or inaccurate treatment in exchange of the connivance of having it without seeing the doctor physically.
- Delayed physical consultation ;You may actually delaying seeing the doctor in person as you have already received some medical advice. This may delay the identification or treatment of more serious medical conditions.
5. Other important issues related to online consultation with the doctors
All companies take measures to protect the personal and medical data of the patients as per prevalent norms and regulations.