Rainy season is marked by diseases like malaria and dengue. there are additions to this list, which are Chikungunya and Zika virus. These are some basic tips about what exactly is this disease and what has to be done for it.
What is Chikungunya?
Chikungunya is a viral disease which people get , when they are bitten by a infected mosquitoes – including Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. The name chikungunya originates from a verb in the Kimakonde language, meaning ‘to become contorted’. This refers to the ‘stooped’ appearance of those suffering with joint pain.
- Everyone who is living in disease prone area.
- Transmission from blood is possible, but no reports of such incidence.
- Fever and joint pain. for a week.
- Headache, muscle pain, joint swelling, or rash. for a month or so.
- Consult doctors, if required, doctor will advise chikungunya test. It is not necessary in every patient.
- Take lot of fluids
- Take rest. No hard work.
- Paracetamol to reduce fever and pain.
- Do not take aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Prevent mosquito bites.
Credit : NDTV India
How to prevent Chikungunya disease ?
- Preventing mosquito bites : GUIDE
Things to remember ?
Preventing mosquito bites is most effective way to avoid Chikungunya disease
The mosquitoes that spread the chikungunya virus bite during the day and at night.
No vaccine available for chikungunya virus disease yet.
No treatment available for chikungunya virus disease.